The focus of our resources for students with learning challenges is updated here to include apps for the iPod
touch, iPhone and iPad. Return often for revisions for Apps for Dyslexic Students and new resources for
students identified with autism.
A new day has arrived for dyslexic students where apps have been created to support the
challenges that they have on a daily basis in school. Here is the "Top Ten apps" (with links to iTunes) for
them to get started.
The free Dictionary.com app includes nearly 1,000,000 words and definitions
and 90,000 synonyms and antonyms. No Internet connection is needed. The app also features audio
pronunciations that can support vocabulary development, similarly spelled words and
Dictionary.com’s popular Word of the Day. (FREE)
Typ-O uses a powerful word prediction engine and a sophisticated spelling error model to
help you write, even if your spelling isn't perfect. The integrated synthetic voices let you inspect the word
predictions before selecting them, and check your text before emailing or pasting it into other applications.
The iPad version adds spell checking, file management and a selection of four synthetic voices.
- Word prediction: Typ-O finds your word (and the next one) in its vast model of common English words
- Text-to-speech: Listen to your word before you select it. Hear your words and your sentences, before
you email or SMS them.
- Perfect spelling optional: Typ-O knows the most common spelling mistakes, and will often suggest
words even if you have misspelled them. ($14.99)
iHomework is a student's best friend during the busy times of the school year. Keep
up-to-date with your school work, grades, to-do's, teacher's information, and almost everything else
you need during the school year. It allows you to set alarms for Assignments and Reminders. iHomework
is the only school organizer that can be with you anywhere you go, whether that be on your iPhone/iPod
touch, iPad, or Mac!($1.99)
Web Reader 2.2 for iPhone uses text to speech technology along with web page content
recognition to read web pages to you. You can configure web pages to be read as soon as they are loaded,
read pages manually after they are loaded, or use Cut, Copy, & Paste to read only sections of text.
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books. iBooks includes the iBookstore,
where you can download the latest best-selling books or your favorite classics – day or night. Browse your
library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and
bookmark or add notes to your favorite passages. Use iBooks with the amazing accessibility features in
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – such as speaking the words on a given page. (FREE)
Dragon Search is the fast, accurate and smart way to search online content on your iPhone™
using your voice. Simply speak your search queries and get simultaneous results from a variety of top websites
and content sources. (FREE)
Dragon Dictation is an easy-to-use voice recognition application powered by Dragon®
NaturallySpeaking® that allows you to easily speak and instantly see your text or email messages. You can
also dictate status updates directly to your Social Networking applications (Facebook and Twitter) or send
notes and reminders to yourself….all using your voice. Features also include convenient editing feature that
provides a list of suggested words and voice driven correction interface. (FREE)
- Easy to use interface: simply enter the text you want to say, and press the "Speak it!" button
- Four high quality voices are included
- NEW! Highlights words as they are spoken
- Ability to create audio files and email them
- Pause and resume speech playback
- Change the volume, as well as the speed of spoken text
- Change the font size of the text field
All this on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad ($1.99)
"Find Word by the Way it Sounds". Simply type in 3-4 letters of your word
by "how it sounds to you". Find any word in the dictionary phonetically. NO spelling RULES required.
From notes to ideas to snapshots to recordings, put it all into Evernote and
watch as it instantly synchronizes from your iPhone to your Mac or Windows desktop.
Key features of Evernote include:
- Create text, photo and audio notes
- Auto-synchronize your notes to your Mac, PC, and Web
- Magically makes text within snapshots searchable
- Mark notes as "Favorite" for quick access
- All notes include geo-location information for mapping and search